Thursday, February 11, 2016

Headband Twist - Meadow Twist - Medieval Inspired Hairstyle


A few weeks ago I was at my religious meeting and there is a little girl of about 5 or 6 years old and her mom had done a cute little hairstyle for the little girl. The hair was put up in a twist in the back and the headband left over the top of her forehead, it kind of looked like a roaring 20’s look.

So when I got home I was thinking of using a similar look for one of my medieval novel characters so I decided to look it up on the internet to see how it is created. It looked super easy but I wanted to make sure. I found this web site, and it shows how to create it, it really was super easy. So I thought maybe if I try it on myself then I can best describe it in my novel. So I did it and the pictures of mine are below. I used that particular headband as a trial headband instead of one to blend in as it was shown in the Meadow Twist Hair Tutorial instructions on the web.
 
If you care to see how I made that Daisy and Narcissus Flowers Burlap Headband go to this link: http://tabularasacoker.blogspot.com/2015/05/daisy-and-narcissus-flower-headband.html
 
Here is the site where the Meadow Twist Hair Tutorial is:  http://blog.freepeople.com/2012/10/hair-tutorial-meadow-twist/

The first back shot is when my hair was completely dry and was a bit difficult. The next back shot is when my hair was freshly washed and a tad damp, I towel dried to a degree and then I began to do the twist. It was easier with it being a tad damp as I got a tighter twist and it stayed up way better and longer.

With the side view if you care to have less headband showing then just start the twist higher up the headband then I did. Again my hair was dry in that picture and so the twist was a bit more difficult for me, I will definitely be doing that hairstyle with my hair slightly damp from now on. And oh boy will I be doing that cute, easy, stylish, hairstyle again!

Now the back view with the purple and yellow peony fake flowers and the ones with the purple and yellow peony flowers and purple butterflies and the ones with pink / purple honeysuckle flowers and purple butterflies was to see how it would look and I loved it! On the web tutorial version it was shown with real flowers which was cute but I have so many fake flowers it just was easier using fake ones and cheaper and lasts longer.
 
I have an event coming up in the end of March where I will be wearing a purple and white flower dress and I think I will do this twist and place the purple and yellow peony flowers and purple butterflies in the back of my hair around the twist as seen in the below pictures.

Now I bought some multi-colored and some black headbands to blend in or stick out as I wished but they made my head feel like it was in a vice grip, pictures of those headbands on are below, but thank goodness the headbands only cost $1 for a package of six, I got them at Dollar Tree. I was smiling through the pain, lol, looks good though! I will use them for other things, maybe for when I make ribbon headbands. And I already tried but the ribbon headbands are two flimsy for me to get a nice tight twist that will hold.

So I tried playing around to make a much more comfortable headband but I failed a few times and am still trying to find a way to wear this hairstyle with headbands that will blend in and not hurt but I have yet to find a way but I will edit and explain when I do find a way. Also the headbands that are tighter seem to roll back on my head as well so I would have to keep it on my forehead which hurt as well.

So I have a dress that has a thin braided rope belt and so I tried that in my hair and it gave a Native American vibe to it but I can’t wear that with my dress in a month as the dress doesn’t have brown in it. I will just keep looking for a softer alternative to the headband. I have about a month to find an alternative.


  • Headbands- $1 for each of the packages containing six headbands, bought at Dollar Tree. Hopefully if anyone uses them that they have a better time with it then I did.

  • Purple and Yellow Peony Fake Flowers- $0.97 at Wal Mart. I bought them a while ago but I think they are only $0.97.

  • Pink / Purple Honeysuckle Fake Flowers and Purple Fake Butterflies- $0.97 at Wal Mart. They had the Honeysuckle Flowers with two Purple Butterflies on a stem of the flowers which I thought was a great score.





 < Honeysuckle Flowers and Purple Butterflies

 < Purple and Yellow Peony Flowers, the Purple Butterflies are in the images below








 
 
 
 
 
 

Edit February 23, 2016: 
 
Meadow Twist Head Band Update. I found the solution a week ago but have been so busy it has taken a while to finally update everyone on my progress with this hairstyle. So I was at Dollar Tree and I was looking at ribbons and burlap and I came across lace ribbon and I thought maybe I could make a headband that was comfortable, had good grip and would hold a tight twist in the back. So I bought the ribbon and reasoned if it didn’t work I have other uses for the lace ribbon and it was only $1.


See as I had said in the above portion of this post that I couldn't use ribbon as it was too flimsy, slick and wouldn't hold a tight twist. Well the lace ribbon though still ribbon is of lace and the material looks and feels different. It can hold better as it isn't slick like regular ribbon and is firmer as well than regular ribbon.
 
 
So I bought the ribbon and went home and played around with it as to getting the right length. It is trial and error with me. It took a few times to get the right fit. When I had it cut to the right size I took a cut piece of one of the head squeezing headbands I had previously bought at Dollar Tree and hot glued a tiny fragment to the end pieces of the lace ribbon so that it would have still a bit of maneuverability and stretch to it. It took cutting and hot gluing three times to get the right hold and fit but in the end it looks perfect and holds the Head Band Twist / Meadow Twist perfectly!
 
 
Now I used one of the black headband pieces for the end of my Lace Ribbon Head Band as I have dark hair and it didn’t matter and plus I had already been cutting that one up so I didn’t go cut any others up. But if you have lighter hair or want it to blend in more with white or neutral lace ribbon then you could use a white or tan headband piece cut up. The color of the white headband I wear in one of the pictures in the above pictures could have been cut up and used to blend in more with the lace ribbon if you have lighter hair or just want it to blend in.
 
 
Below will be the pictures of the Lace Ribbon Head Band! Also note my hair was wetter than I normally have it for the headband twist so that is why it looks so slick in the pictures. I showed the back view to show how it looks with the Lace Ribbon Head Band and I showed the one with flowers to show that it keeps firm and holds the flowers just as good as the head squeezing headbands do but this Head Band is way more comfortable.
 
 
 
  • Lace Ribbon- $1 at Dollar Tree
 
  • Headbands- $1 at Dollar Tree for a Package of 6 Headbands, these headbands or even pony tail holders are what I often use at the ends of my homemade headbands as they give good maneuverability and stretch

 






 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment